X the Text

April 29th, 2011 at 7:14 am by under Photo/Video

X the TEXT

It is 7 a.m. and we are at the McDonald’s off Braker Lane in north Austin.  By we, I mean our KXAN photographer Thomas, me and two members of our marketing team.

We have our X the Text thumb bands…I am sporting a pink one…naturally!

So far, we have had at least 20 people come up and snag a band.  They also took the pledge to no longer text and drive.   But, before we were handing out these thumb bands, there were four teens in Fredericksburg that put a stop to texting behind the city in their town.  Ashlyn Beckmann, Victoria Burke, Jena Ottmers and Alexis Schmidt, all juniors at Fredericksburg High School, turned a school health project into a law.  It happened this past February.

The teens took their project to the city council members and five votes later it became law that texting while behind the wheel within Frederickburg city limits is illegal.  But, there is more to this. The teens also made it illegal to text while stopped at a stoplight or at a stop sign.  They girls feel this is just as dangerous as driving and texting.  Now, if you get caught sending that text, you will get a ticket and face a $200 fine!

Preview

Jena Ottmers, Alexis Schmidt, Ashlyn Beckmann & Victoria Burke

So far, only one warning has been issued in Fredericksburg.  The girls are taking this as good news and believe people are stopping texting and their law is actually saving lives.

Will you X the Text?

If you want to take the pledge, come see us at the McDonalds on Braker until 10 a.m. today (4/29) or the McDonalds off East Ben White Blvd.

Then, at noon today, we will be at the McDonalds off Martin Luther King Blvd near The Drag.

To find out more about X the Txt click here.

Tags: , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “X the Text”

1. Gary Langley says:

We need to take this a bit farther too! NO CELL PHONE USAGE WHILE DRIVING!
    I have had more people nearly hit me or someone else while TALKING on the CELL. I have seen less nearly hit me while TEXTING. BOTH Are highly dangerous and causes wrecks, injuries, and death.

NO CELL WHILE BEHIND THE WHEEL!

1. Natalie says:

Agreed!! In my town the law only applies in school zones. Can you believe that?! Yeah, because I’m sure children don’t exist outside of school zones.

2. Brad Wilcox says:

If texting while driving is dangerous then using a laptop while driving is even more dangerous yet we PAY police to do this every day! Let us NOT exclude them from this law!

1. Natalie says:

Tell me the last time you heard a cop killing a person or child over using the electronics in their vehicle. Idiots drive/text and its a fact your focus is not fully used while doing so. My friend was badly hurt by her stupid actions so I have personal reasons for my feelings. and I have a child so I will never be ok with it –being on the road watching idiots swerve in and out. you just can’t argue facts. Texting and calling while driving is dangerous.

3. Brad Wilcox says:

Gary so should we also outlaw talking while behind the wheel? I mean if talking on the phone with a hands free device is dangerous then talking tothe person in the back seat is just as dangerous!If we have need to hear while driving then maybe we should outlaw deaf people driving too?

4. Cindy says:

Great Idea! Bring the bands to NW Austin and/or Cedar Park, please. Other locations are too far for us, but would love these for our teenage kids! Thanks!

5. Robert Sims says:

@Brad, the law allows the use of electronics that are mounted to the vehicle. That makes the police laptops exempt.

6. Mother of TEENS says:

This is a GREAT idea !!!! PLEASE bring to MARBLE FALLS,TX.

7. Sylvia O'Dell-Barhorst says:

Why are you making a big deal out and getting kids excited about these bands that are only available or even known about by one MacDonald for a few morning hours way up North. My daughter abnd her boyfriend wanted one but the other MacDonalds had no idea what they were talking about. I called one on Palmer and they knew nothing about it. The ohone number for the Braker MacDonalds phone number on the internet was a bad number. The reporter said to check online for locations and times. I did after south Austin MacDonalds knew anything about it. What locations and times do you have. The little article only gives one location in early school day hours. The band is aimed at teens who can’t drive up to a north location before 10 a.m. So what is the point of this misleading virtually nonexistant promo on your channel. Please Reply to this.

8. Sylvia O'Dell-Barhorst says:

I’d like to know if these bands are available at any South Austin location and when. I sent an earlier text with my new e-mail address that was incorrect. I would like to know if these bands are actually available to school age teens in South Austin.

9. Drake Gonzales says:

Will this be on during Saturday 30 of April? I wwant to “X the Text”!!

10. Erik Wood says:

I think this effort will help drivers get the message. It has to start with the end user, the driver…deciding not to partake in distracted driving and this will help drive that message home.

I also decided to do something about teen (and adult) distracted driving after my three year old daughter was nearly run down right in front of me by a texting driver. Instead of a shackle that locks down phones and alienates the user (especially teens) I built a tool for teens and their parents called OTTER that is a simple, GPS based, texting auto reply app for smartphones. It also silences call ringtones while driving unless you have a bluetooth enabled. I think if we can empower the individual then change will come to our highways now and not just our laws.

Erik Wood, owner
    OTTER LLC
    OTTER app

11. Ashlyn says:

We would love to have yall come to Fredericksburg High School for the thumb band Thursdays if yall have a chance before summer!!