NWS 2012 Flood Safety Poster Contest Is Back!January 18th, 2013 at 6:34 am by markmonstrola under Weather
This contest is an important way to educate students about the risk of flooding that we all face in Central Texas. It’s hard to remember in the middle of one of the worst droughts in Texas’ history, but flooding is Austin’s top weather-related emergency and the number-one cause of weather-related fatalities.
- Gift card, $100 to $25 for first, second, third and fourth place winners.
- Ride on Lady Bird Lake in a swift water rescue boat with an emergency responder.
- Poster printed in a Flood Safety insert in the Austin-American Statesman.
- Rain gauge from the National Weather Service and opportunity to tour their New Braunfels forecasting center.
- 8 ½ by 11 paper, in landscape orientation.
- Shows the dangers of driving through flood waters.
- Either “Save Yourself! Turn Around – Don’t Drown” or “¡Sálvate! Es mejor regresarte – que ahogarte.” should be the headline
- Due Feb. 27, 2013 (in our hands, not post-marked).
- Download Poster Contest Guidelines or Concurso de Posteres.
Information to Include on Back of Poster
- Child’s name and grade
- Parent’s or guardian’s name, phone number, email and address
- School and teacher’s name, phone number and email (optional)
- Mail to City of Austin, WPD, Attn: Joan Esquivel, P.O. Box 1088, Austin, TX 78767
- Drop off at One Texas Center, 505 Barton Springs Road, 12th Floor, Austin, TX 78704
- Email computer-generated artwork
- Must be received by Feb. 27, 2013
Note: Artwork will become the property of the City of Austin and will not be returned.
- Grade 1 and 2
- Grade 3 to 5
- Grade 6 to 8
The contest is sponsored by the City of Austin, the Texas Floodplain Management Association, the National Weather Service, the LCRA and the U.S. Geological Survey
For more information log onto: http://www.austintexas.gov/floodposters