NWS May 2013 Review…

June 9th, 2013 at 6:51 pm by under Weather

May 2013 Weather in Review


May 2013 was more like an early fall month than a late Spring month, with regard to daily
temperature changes from cold to warm. For active weather, May 2013 was typical of the usual
occasional severe weather and heavy rain events that have come in May. May 2013 began with
temperatures much below normal. All time lows for the month were set May 4th at Austin
Bergstrom, 37, and at San Antonio, 42. Lows at Austin Mabry on May 4th was 46 and at Del Rio
47. The 47 low at Del Rio tied the daily May 4th record of 47 observed on May 4, 1954. After a brief
warming trend, it cooled off again after rains of May 9th and 10th. After a brief period of cooler
days, it warmed up quickly May 16th to May 20th. A few daily record highs were observed on
May 16th and May 17th, when highs rose to the 90s, with 100 degree days over the west part of
South Central Texas. A record daily high of 107 was observed at Del Rio on May 16th and of 105
on May 17th. The high of 97 at San Antonio on May 16th and May 17th tied the daily record high
for May 16th and May 17th. The high of 93 at Austin Bergstrom May 17th tied the record for May
17th, and the high of 95 at Austin Bergstrom May 18th broke the daily record high for May 18th.
Scattered storms returned May 21st, followed by calmer conditions on May 22nd. This ended the
23rd as the weather became more active, followed by stormy weather and flooding on May 24th to
May 25th. Scattered storms returned Sunday, May 26th. The heavy rain amount of 9.87 inches at
San Antonio on May 25th, was a record daily amount for the month of May and was the 2nd
wettest day at San Antonio after the October 17, 1998 record of 11.26 inches. Isolated showers
May 27th were followed by isolated to scattered thunderstorms, with stormy conditions over the
west part of South Central Texas, late in the day on May 28th to the early morning of May 29th.
More stable and warmer conditions developed May 30th and May 31st.

May 2013 Summary

Location         Average Temp           Average High          Average Low          Warmest/Coolest        

Camp Mabry        75.7 -0.9                     86.9 +0.4                  64.5 -2.2           96 on 18th, 44 on 3rd

ABIA                   74.3 -0.9                   86.0 -0.7                     62.6 -1.1           95 on 18th, 37 on 4th

Burnet                73.0 -1.1                    84.0 -0.4                     62.0 -1.9           94 on 18th, 40 on 4th

May 2013 Climate Records…

MAY 2013 RECORDS SET AT AUSTIN CAMP MABRY
-  THE LOW OF 44 ON MAY 3RD BROKE THE RECORD LOW FOR MAY 3RD OF 45 SET
ON MAY 3, 1929.
-  THE LOW OF 75 ON THE 17TH TIED THE RECORD HIGH MINIMUM FOR MAY 17TH
OF 75 SET IN 1995.
MAY 2013 RECORDS SET AT AUSTIN BERGSTROM
- THE LOW OF 42 ON MAY 3RD BROKE THE RECORD LOW FOR MAY 3RD OF 44 SET
ON MAY 3, 2011.
- THE LOW OF 37 ON MAY 4TH BROKE THE DAILY RECORD FOR MAY 4TH AND THE
MONTHLY RECORD LOW FOR MAY OF 38 SET ON MAY 4, 2011.
- THE LOW OF 45 ON MAY 6TH BROKE THE RECORD LOW FOR MAY 6TH OF 49 SET
ON MAY 6, 1953.
- THE LOW OF 48 ON MAY 13TH TIED THE RECORD LOW FOR MAY 13TH OF 48
SET ON MAY 13, 1960.
- THE HIGH OF 93 ON MAY 17TH TIED THE RECORD HIGH FOR MAY 17TH OF 93
SET ON MAY 17, 2003.
- THE HIGH OF 95 ON MAY 18TH BROKE THE RECORD HIGH FOR MAY 18TH OF 94
SET ON MAY 18, 2003.
- THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH OF MAY 2013 AT AUSTIN
BERGSTROM OF 74.3 MADE MAY 2013 THE 10TH COOLEST MAY OF RECORD
AT AUSTIN BERGSTROM SINCE OCTOBER 1942.
- THE AVERAGE LOW AT AUSTIN BERGSTROM OF 62.6 WAS THE 2ND COOLEST
AVERAGE DAILY LOW AT AUSTIN BERGSTROM SINCE OCTOBER 1942. THE
COOLEST AVERAGE LOW FOR MAY AT AUSTIN BERGSTROM WAS 61.7 IN
MAY OF 1976.

 

JUNE OUTLOOK

The outlook for June 2013 issued by the Climate Prediction Center on May 31st shows Equal
Chances of being cooler; near normal; or above normal for the average monthly temperature
across most of South Central Texas, except for the western edge of South Central Texas where the
Climate Prediction Center showed a 33.3 to 40 percent chance of being warmer than normal; a 33.3
percent chance of near normal temperatures; and a 26.7 percent chance of being cooler than
normal. The outlook for the rainfall in June 2013 shows Equal Chances of above; near normal; or
below normal rainfall for June 2013. The average 3 month temperature from June to August 2013
shows a 40 percent chance of being warmer than usual from June to August; a 33.3 percent chance
of being near normal; and a 26.7 percent chance of being cooler than normal. The June 2013 to
August 2013 3 month rainfall outlook over South Central Texas shows Equal Chances of above;
near normal; or below normal rainfall for June to August of 2013. Click Here to See the Latest
Outlooks from the Climate Prediction Center. The table below lists information on Climate
Normals for the month of June for Austin, Del Rio and San Antonio.

Comments are closed.